student playing with refugees

Interdisciplinary Global Learning and Engagement (IGLE)

Frequently Asked Questions

Application Process

  • For information on how to apply to IGLE, email or call the IGLE office at 602-543-6091.

Travel Documentation

  • Do I need a passport? Yes! You now need a passport to travel abroad, even to travel to Mexico and Canada.
  • How do I apply for a passport? Go to the federal government website to apply for a new Passport Book or Passport Card. The fee is $110 for a Passport Book (good for all forms of travel), $30 for Passport Card (good for only land or sea travel). Additional Processing fee of $25 for either one (if you wish to purchase BOTH the booklet and the card, only one processing fee is required). Apply early: it takes 3-6 weeks to get either the Passport Booklet or Passport Card. Expedited service takes 2-3 weeks, but costs substantially more. You may be able to apply for a Passport Card in person at the Western Passport Center in Tucson and receive it more quickly, but you need to make an appointment in advance and hours are limited.
  • What is the difference between a US passport book and a passport card? Learn more.
  • How do I obtain a certified copy of my U.S. birth certificate? Contact the Vital Statistics office in the state where you were born.
  • Do I need to obtain a visa for studying abroad? Contact for questions regarding visas.

Health and Safety

  • Should I buy additional travel insurance? Additional travel insurance is not required, but recommended. Check to see if your credit card company includes travel insurance.

Cost of IGLE Study Abroad Programs

  • How much does the program cost? Tuition for the program is included in your standard tuition for the course. Additional fees required for international travel, housing, meals, activities, etc. will vary by program. Please refer to the program flyer for more information.
  • What do the program fees cover? Coverage varies by program. Check with the IGLE office ( for specific information about what is included in the program fees.
  • Are scholarships available?Yes, there are currently several scholarships available:
    For undergraduates
    ·         Follow this link Click on the heading of funding. It will be key for you to work with your college senator to obtain funding for professional development.
  • How can I raise funds for my travel? Go to Raising funds for your trip.