After receiving his doctorate in statistics from Purdue University, Professor Berger held academic positions at Florida State University and North Carolina State University. He also spent two years with the National Science Foundation before coming to Arizona State University in 2004.
Berger is co-author of the textbook "Statistical Inference," now in its second edition. This book has been translated into Chinese and Portuguese. His articles have appeared in publications including Journal of the American Statistical Association, Statistical Science, Biometrics and Statistical Methods in Medical Research.
Berger's areas of expertise include hypothesis testing, (bio)equivalence, generalized linear models, biostatistics and statistics education. He is an ASA Fellow and IMS Fellow.
Ph.D. Statistics, Purdue University
- Borror, Connie M., Berger, Roger L., LaFond, Sue, Stull, Melanie. Undergraduate Statistics Curriculum: A Large, Unstructured, Complex Problem. Quality Engineering (2012).
- Suh, Moon W., Chun, Heuiju, Berger, Roger L., Bloomfield, Peter. Distribution of Fiber Intersections in Two-Dimensional Random Fiber Webs - A Basic Geometrical Probability Model. Textile Research Journal (2010).
- Roger L. Berger. Nonstandard operator precedence in Excel. Computational Statistics and Data Analysis (2007).
- Devan V. Mehrotra, Ivan S. F. Chan, and Roger L. Berger. A cautionary note on exact unconditional inference for a difference between two independent binomial proportions. Biometrics (2003).
- Berger, Roger L, Casella, George. Statistical Inference, Second Edition. (2002).
- Roger L. Berger. More powerful tests from confidence interval p values. American Statistician (1996).
- Roger L. Berger and Jason C. Hsu. Bioequivalence trials, intersection-union tests, and equivalence confidence sets. Statistical Science (1996).
- George Casella and Roger L. Berger. Estimation with selected binomial information or do you really believe that Dave Winfield is batting .471?. Journal of the American Statistical Association (1994).
- Roger L. Berger and Dennis D. Boos. P values maximized over a confidence set for the nuisance parameter. Journal of the American Statistical Association (1994).
- Roger L. Berger. Multiparameter hypothesis testing and acceptance sampling. Technometrics (1982).
- Castillo-Chavez,Carlos*, Castillo-Chavez,Carlos*, Berger,Roger L, Camacho,Erika T, Kang,Yun, Wirkus,Stephen A.. ASU-Sloan Program for Exceptional Mentoring (PEM) (ASUF 30006275). ASU FDN(7/1/2014 - 6/30/2017).
- Berger,Roger L*, Cahill,Thomas Michael, Jurutka,Peter W, Wagner,Carl Edward. CRIF MU: Acquisition of a Cyber-Enabled 400 MHz NMR Spectrometer. NSF-MPS(2/1/2008 - 1/31/2011).
- Mittelmann,Renate M*, Berger,Roger L, Borror,Connie Margaret, Chen,Shu-Chuan, Chen,Shu-Chuan, Eubank,Randall, Lohr,Sharon Lynn, Majumdar,Anandamayee, Montgomery,Douglas C, Reiser,Mark R, Reiser,Mark R, Runger,George, Stanzione Jr,Daniel Charles, Yang,Yan, Young,Dennis L. An Interdepartmental Computing Environment for Statistical Research. NSF-MPS-DMS(9/1/2007 - 8/31/2008).
- Journal of the American Statistical Association, Associate Editor (2007 - Present)
- Statistical Science, Editor (2001 - 2007)
- IMS Committee to Select Administrative Officers, Committee Chair (2003 - 2004)
- COPSS Elizabeth L. Scott Award, Committee Member (2001 - 2004)
- Australian and New Zealand Journal of Statistics, Associate Editor (2002 - 2003)
- SRCOS Program, Summer Research Conference, St. Augustine, Co-Chair (2001 - 2001)
- Biometrics, Associate Editor (2000 - 2001)
- Journal of American Statistical Association, Associate Editor (1996 - 2001)
- IMS Program Committee, Joint Statistical Meetings. Indianapolis, Committee Chair (2000 - 2000)